How make your Joomla website show as offline?
There are cases when you do significant changes to your site and you do not want your visitors to be able to see its content. For example if you change a template, restore a backup or perform tests and changes to the menu and plugins.
A clever technique is to put your website to appear as Offline and display the appropriate message to your visitors.
This can be done easily by following the steps below.
- Login to your Joomla website's control panel.
- Then navigate to System > Global Configuration
- Find the Site Settings category under the Site tab.
- Then change the Site Offline setting to Yes.
- If you want you can edit the Custom Message text box to modify the message that will be displayed to your visitors when they try to visit your website while it is offline.
- Also you can set a picture to be displayed to your visitors when they try to visit your site while it is offline by editing the Offline Image option.
- Finally click the Save button at the top of the page to save your changes.
While your website is offline you can normally log into the Joomla control panel to make changes as before.
To see the changes you make as your website is offline simply visit and log in with your login information in the appropriate fields that are displayed. Your site will load normally showing the changes you make.
When you finish the changes, you can make your website online again with the same procedure as before by setting the Site Offline option back to No.