How do I create / delete an FTP account?
In every hosting package, you may use your cPanel login credentials (username and password) to make an FTP connection. Additionally, you have the option to create separate accounts for FTP connections and delete them, also through your package's control panel, the cPanel.
If you have no prior knowledge on the FTP protocol and how it works, you can get some basic information through our related article. Also some more FTP client specific information can be found in this FTP client related article
Create an FTP account
You may create a new FTP account through your cPanel. Follow the steps below:
- Log in your cPanel
Click the FTP Accounts option in Files category.
In Add FTP Account section you may fill the available form with the appropriate information.
- Login: Type the username which you would like to use for connecting through FTP. The username that you enter will be then associated with your account domain to create a full username that comes in an email form. For example, if your domain is example.com and the username you entered is newftp, then the full username produced will be email@example.com. This is the final username you will type in your FTP Client when you enter the login information.
- Password: Type a secure password. You may use the Password Generator for creating a secure password instantly.
- Password (Again): Type your password again.
- Strength: This is an indicator of how secure your password is on a scale of Very Weak to Very Strong.
Directory: Attention should be given in this field, as the username you entered in the first step it is inserted automatically in the url. In our example, under public_html folder, which is the root folder where you upload the files of your website, will be inserted /newftp will be inserted, just like the username we defined above. Most of the times, this is unnecessary because typical scenario is that you probably want to create an FTP account to handle the entire public_html folder and therefore you should manually delete "/newftp" the from url (Directory).
If you wish so, you can also create an FTP account to access a specific subfolder of public_html. For example, if you are managing a blog on your website and this blog is installed in the "blog" subfolder, then you type /blog in the Directory field in place of /newftp, so the path will be public_html/blog. This way you allow user firstname.lastname@example.org restricted access to blog folder in your account.
- Quota: You can enter a limit to the size of the hard disk that can be used of your account or select the Unlimited option.
- Click the Create FTP Account button. If you have properly filled all fields described above, an "Account Created", information message will appear .
Delete an FTP account
An FTP account can be deleted through the control panel of your hosting package, following the instructions bellow:
- Log in cPanel
- Click the FTP Accounts option in Files category
For the FTP account you want to delete, click the Delete option.
A box automatically opens, where you have two delete options. You can just delete the account or the account as well as all the files it contains. This second option carries the risk of data loss so if you are not sure what to select, go with the first option and you may later remove unwanted files using the file manager.
After deleting the account, it will be removed from the list of FTP accounts.